Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pinot File: Cono Sur Pinot Noir


20080723 042
Originally uploaded by nikoretro
Sideways caused a craze, but pop-culture or no, I've always loved Pinot Noir. Coincidentally, I've always hated F-ing Merlot.

Honestly, the first time I tasted Pinot I found it to be too dry and have a slightly thin texture that I didn't like. However, it was the first red wine I ever tried. It just wasn't fat and fruity enough for me back in my vino infancy. I tried a glass Kenwood, Jack London Zinfandel after that and it was love at first sip. It took a while for my palate to develop a taste for Pinot, but as I tasted more and learned more about it, I grew more of an appreciation for this fickle little grape and all its delicious subtleties.

If you want to gain some Pinot perspective yourself, this wine is a good step without spending a lot of money on a wine that is not the fruit bomb you're used to.

There are many Pinot Noir's out there for around $10, but most of them don't taste much like Pinot. Many lesser expensive Pinot's are commonly fortified with Syrah, but they don't have to mention that fact unless it contains more than 25%. Adding Syrah will beef up the fruitiness of a Pinot, but more importantly, it beef's up the overall yield so producers can get more bottles out of one harvest.

If this inexpensive Pinot contains any Syrah, it doesn't matter because it still tastes like Pinot Noir.

Vina Cono Sur is located in Chimbarongo, Chile and they strive to produce some of the best Pinot Noir in Chile. Although the bottle I tried is from their "good value" profile, they definitely know what they're doing with Pinot. Burgundian producer Martin Prieur was brought to Chile to choose the best places to plant Pinot grapes and teach them classic Burgundian winemaking techniques.

Though Vina Cono Sur produce very fine and expensive Pinot Noirs, some of that juice undoubtedly goes into this bottle that I got for $11. This Pinot exhibits lovely flavors of pomegranate, bright cherry and black tea. The tannins are as subtle as they should be and there is just enough oak to give it some roundness and a bit of spice. Though the reddish-purple hue and the medium body style suggests that there may indeed be some Syrah in this bottle, it remains an inexpensive and fruit forward introduction to Pinot Noir.

But this is not just an introductory Pinot. It's an easy drinker and great for every day meals or just leisurely sipping. Pinot newbies and Pinot pros alike will love this Chilean beauty. And coming in under $15 makes it all the easier to love.

No comments: